Pages

Monday, February 25, 2013

Menu Plan Monday: February 25, 2013*

I have declared the end of February and the entire month of March as:
"Use What I Have" months.

I have a freezer and pantry full of food, but don't often make sure to rotate as well as I should.  So this month, I am making an effort to use up a bunch of the stuff from both the freezer and the pantry to help clear out some room for new items that will be grown this summer.

I hope to get rid of a bunch of "freezer meals" that I already have stored (such as four containers of leftover chili, pre-made beef taco meat, homemade soups/stock and a large ham that may (or may not) be any good as it has been in the freezer well over a year.  We just don't eat that much ham.  Bacon, yes.  Ham, no.

So this week our dinner meals will look like this:

Sunday ~  Homemade Baked Beans (using dried beans from the pantry) - recipe to come!
                 Hamburger Patties (1/4 cow in the freezer)
                 Coleslaw

Monday ~ Hamburger Vegetable Soup (pre-made in the freezer)
                  Italian Breadsticks

Tuesday ~ Nachos & Fixings (taco meat in the frezer)

Wednesday ~ Mexican Stackers (using leftover taco meat from last night)
                       (hashbrowns, taco beef, scrambled eggs, cheese, black olives, sour cream & salsa)

Thursday ~ Scalloped Potatoes & Ham in the Crock Pot (package of ham in refrigerator)
                    Vegetable (from the freezer)

Friday ~ Homemade Pizza (shredded cheese from the freezer)
               Smoothies or Fresh Juice (juice to use up veggies/fruit from refrigerator)

Saturday ~ Curry Chicken
                   Brown Rice
                   Vegetable (from freezer)

Hopefully, after a couple weeks of focusing on using up what we have, our cupboards will start to look bare and I can start with buying on sale again to re-stock. 

This menu plan is shared at Org Junkie's Menu Plan Monday.  Head over to find lots of inspiration for your menu planning needs! 

2 comments:

  1. Looks like a delicious line up of meals at your house this week!
    I'll be 'shopping the pantry' to put meals together this month as well. It's always a good thing to get things cleaned out. I'm always surprised at how many meals I can pull together, when I thought I was "out of everything".

    ReplyDelete
  2. We recently did this last month, and it helped a lot with our monthly grocery budget! We cleared out quite a bit from the freezer and it felt good to use the ingredients and pre-made meals.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog! Please keep all comments respectful or they will not be posted.