Pages

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

August 2011 Canoe Trip

William and I went on a relaxing canoe trip in August with our friends Chris and Jill.  It was great to get away for a few days and spend some time paddling on the water.  While we wished we could have been in the Boundary Waters, I think a short trip on the St Croix was a good choice as I am not sure if I could have left Elizabeth for any more than three days without communication to know she is safe and healthy.  I know that I worry too much, but I guess I am just carrying on the traditions of Mom's everywhere.  I think we all worry too much!

William and Chris cooking breakfast after waking up in the woods the first morning of the trip.  We stayed at Norway Point the first night of the trip.

We stayed at Sunrise Landing (Wisconsin side) the third night of the trip.  It was great to take a little swim and clean up as the river was fairly calm at this landing.  There used to be a ferry that went back and forth from Minnesota and Wisconsin that was where this landing was.  If I remember my history correctly, I think my Great Grandmother may have once worked at the ferry site?  The family will have to correct me if I am wrong in the comments!

There were so many mosquito's on this trip that we went through almost three full-sized cans of bug spray.  Even then, we all came home with what felt like hundreds of bites.  Thankfully Chris took the fall for us and didn't use bug spray most of the trip (simply because he doesn't like the stuff) and so he got most of the bites. 

Here we all are hanging out at the river at sunset having some beverages and relaxing after a long day paddling 20 miles.  Even though we were paddling downstream, it was still quite an exhausting day!

And the trip has ended back in our driveway.  (Don't you just love how we transported the canoes back to our house in the back of the truck?)  Jill and I were a little worried things wouldn't fit and the canoes may fall out of the vehicle, but our husbands were sure it would work, and (dare I say it?) they were right. 

It was a great trip and I can't wait to do it again next year! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog! Please keep all comments respectful or they will not be posted.