Pages

Friday, March 22, 2019

2019 Garden Plans

My favorite part of spring is starting to plan the gardens.  So full of hope and possibility, even when the garden boxes are still covered in snow!






My Mom came over the other day and we started to plan what seeds I need to start so that we can have items ready to transplant come the end of May.  Some things grow really well at her house (like beets, cabbage and squash) so she is going to grow those for me in exchange for me starting some seeds for her.

Such a great trade, if you ask me!


My plan for this year is as follows:

Onions - small amount - never been able to grow these before so going to give them another try

Snow Peas - small amount - only for fresh eating

Spinach - fresh eating only

Cabbage - Mom to grow two cabbage for me (process to kraut)

Radishes - a very small amount - for fresh eating on salads only

Beets - Mom to grow as many as she can for me.  Then help me can them as my stash is running low.

Potatoes - try to grow a few hills - never tried before!

Leaf Lettuce - fresh eating only

Carrots - grow much less than last year!

Chard - double the amount from last year

Green Beans - grow as much as I possibly can!

Sweet Corn - 1 row in the outer garden

Popcorn - 1 row in the outer garden

Cucumbers - try a direct sew this year - growing enough to make a few quarts of dill and refrigerator pickles is the goal!

Zucchini - 1 plant - fresh eating and shred for quick bread

Summer Squash - 1 plant

Peppers - 1 jalapeno, 2 poblano, 2 orange bell, 2 cali wonder (start seed for Mom too)

Tomatoes - 2 Barry's Crazy Cherry, 1 Mini-Bel (for Great Grandma) 2 Roma/Amish Paste for both Mom and I, 2 German Johnson for both Mom and I

Pumpkins - 1 hill of Mini's, 1 hill of Jack-o-lanterns, 1 hill of Pie


Additional Goals:
Fill in the two open beds with soil

Install Landscape Fabric, Pea Gravel and three long, narrow beds.

Plant raspberries, blueberry bushes and strawberries into the three long narrow beds!

One additional apple tree - Choose from Honeycrisp, Cortland or Wolf River.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog! Please keep all comments respectful or they will not be posted.