Pages

Wednesday, April 10, 2019

Seed Starting

I started our seeds on April 1st.  By the 3rd, there were already broccoli popping out of the soil! 

April 1, 2019




I planted 8 broccoli plants.  I wasn't planning on doing any broccoli this year as it only grows okay here, but I figured I would try them in the outer garden and see if they do better there.  I should have room, so a row of broccoli should be no problem to fit in!

I started 16 pepper plants (for both Grandma and I) and so far, nothing has sprouted...  I don't seem to have much luck with peppers, but worst case scenario, I can purchase a couple plants from the local farmers at the Farmers Market when it starts.  They usually have some extras!

I also started 18 tomato plants.  These have almost all sprouted now.  I left the pots only half full so that I could add more soil to get a great root base started - hopefully this will work!

Now the trick will be to get these to grow well (and not too tall - I don't have grow lights, only a patio door) and live long enough to make it to outdoor planting time!  I guess I could always look into covering a raised bed with an arch to make a tunnel.  That may be a good idea as the soil is ready, but the weather is not!

We anticipate a foot or more of snow to fall from tonight through Friday, so winter is going to try to give us one last dose this spring!  Have to love living in Northern Wisconsin!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog! Please keep all comments respectful or they will not be posted.