Pages

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup

I made the best Cream of Mushroom soup this past weekend. I needed to make something from scratch so that I could avoid using the canned soup with MSG for my Green Bean Casserole. So, here is what I came up with. I made enough for 12 generous servings of green bean casserole and for 8 guests, there were none leftover at the end of the day! Everyone complimented me on the wonderful rich taste of the casserole!

Homemade Cream of Mushroom Soup

8 ounces Portabella Mushrooms, chopped into 1/2 inch pieces
4 tablespoons butter
4 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
4 tablespoons brown rice flour
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
2 cups chicken stock
2 cups half and half

Melt the butter over medium high heat in a large cast iron skillet (or regular saucepan). Add the mushrooms, salt and pepper and cook for about 5 minutes or until the mushrooms begin to give up their juices. Add in the garlic and nutmeg and cook another two minutes. Sprinkle the flour over the mixture and stir. Cook another minute. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the half and half and bring to a boil again. Simmer 10 minutes, stirring often.

I asked William to taste test before I added to the green beans and after he tried it, he asked if I could spare a small bowl of it for him to eat. Luckily I was able to! He said it was great!!!

It is such a simple soup to make and with so few ingredients, it makes it ALMOST economical as a replacement for canned soup. I would guess that you could also make a cream of chicken or cream of celery in the same manner with a few minor substitutions. I haven't tried yet, so I will not vouch for the quality, but I would assume it would turn out good. Next time I make it, I will double or triple the recipe and can or freeze it for future use in pint jars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment on my blog! Please keep all comments respectful or they will not be posted.